Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Jenna

In front of the waterfall at the King's Pagoda
in Doi Inthonon National Park, Thailand (Feb. '07)


Jenna – Pledge Class 1995

Since leaving Hays, I feel as if I've lived at least three lives. My family moved from Overland Park, KS, to Springfield, MO, the summer between my junior and senior year. As I only needed two classes to finish up my degree, I moved with them and took the courses at Southwest Missouri State, transferring them back to FHSU to graduate with my BA in Psychology in December of 1997. I spent two years in Springfield, working at Helzberg Diamonds and applying to graduate programs. I didn't get into any of the schools I wanted the first year, but the second year I received a full fellowship into the Sociology PhD program at the University of California - Irvine (UCI).

I stuck with the program for a year, but it was a bad match for me all around, so ... I quit. But I wanted to stay in southern California, so I went to a career counselor to assess my skill set and started looking for a job as a writer or editor. Part by sheer determination, part by luck, I was hired as the writer for a new line of journals and gift books for teen girls and young women. I had a blast working on those books and learned more than I knew possible. When the line folded a year and a half later, I was pulled into the main line of books at the publishing company as a writer and editor for the art books and children's creative products. I've been working there as a book editor ever since, occasionally writing (I have a series of children's stories for ages 4+ called "Watch Me Draw" that are out in all the stores now, which is kind of fun). I'm now a senior editor, coming up on my 7th year with the same company.

My family is still scattered throughout Missouri and Kansas, but I don't get back that way very often. (Although Super convinced me to come back for Oktoberfest this past year, and I have traveled "home" for a wedding or two.) I try to save up my vacation time for the big stuff instead. I just got back from a trip to Thailand, stopping off in Tokyo first (my second time going there), and I've also been to Lebanon recently, as well as having traveled throughout the United States, hitting Chicago and South Beach last year, and covering everything from Cape Cod and Dallas to Las Vegas and San Francisco, as well as a lot of cities in between. I live in Orange County now, which means I have access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world (Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, and Huntington Beach are all just down the road), but I'm also perfectly located to jet off to Palm Springs, Temecula, or Big Bear for a weekend, and I often visit San Diego and Los Angeles, which are each only an hour's drive away.

I am not married and I don't have kids. That's the case with everyone I know out here who's my age (and older, actually). I'm actively seeking a boyfriend and am not opposed to being set up if you know any cuties out here! ;)

For the time being, I occupy myself with work, my hobbies (writing, making jewelry, rock climbing, volunteering for the Ayn Rand Institute, taking care of my beloved Maine Coon cat Stripes, etc.), and keeping company with my amazing group of friends, who open up doors and windows of opportunity for me every day. I live in a crazy world where everything is possible -- meaning if you mention off-handedly to a friend that you'd like to fly a plane, you might just get the chance. (I have -- twice! Once to Catalina Island and the second time to Santa Barbara.) It also means that it's not abnormal to ride around in limos or yachts or to attend parties at fancy mansions or resorts where you're elbow to elbow with celebrities and up to your elbows in furs and fine wine, champagne, oysters, and caviar. It all leaves me sort of breathless at times. Definitely a different world ... and I'm loving every minute of it!

30th - Celebrating my 30th birthday (Jun. '06)

Boating - Boating with friends
(we call this "the puppy pile") (Aug. '06)


Up to no good with Super and Post at Oktoberfest (Sep. '06)

At the top of Morro Rock with my camping buddies
at Sequoia National Park (Oct. '06)


Halloween dress-up with my two favorite little Indians,
Laura and Jill (Oct. '06)


Versace - With Jill and Dan at his company party
(in a house overwhelmed by Versace furniture) (Dec. '06)


MakarParty - Thomas, Jill, Natalia, and me
at a holiday party at the St. Regis (Dec. '06)


MyCrew - My close-knit crew celebrating a friend's birthday
at a house party in the Hollywood Hills (Jan. '07)


Riding Rolex the elephant (with her Buffalo child nearby)
with high school friend Ryan outside of Chiang Mai, Thailand (Feb. '07)

No comments: